1 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup honey
1 (16 ounce) package phyllo dough (thawed)
1 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, pecans or pistachios
1 cup butter melted
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/8 cup sugar
9×13 inch pan
- Make sauce. Boil sugar and water until sugar is melted. Add vanilla and honey. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter the bottoms and sides of a 9×13 inch pan.
- Chop nuts and toss with cinnamon, cardamom and 1/8 cup sugar. Set aside. Unroll phyllo dough. Cut whole stack to fit pan, save scraps. Place 2 sheets of dough in pan, lightly drizzle with butter using baster. Repeat until you have 6 layers. Make 1 layer using crumpled scraps and crumpled sheets then 2 more sheets. Sprinkle nut mixture on top and drizzle with butter. Top with 2 more sheets of dough and butter, layering as you go for about 6 – 8 more layers.
- Using a sharp knife cut into diamond or square shapes all the way to the bottom of the pan. You may cut into 4 long rows the make diagonal cuts. Bake for about 50 minutes or until baklava is golden and crisp.
- Remove baklava from oven and immediately drizzle sauce over it. Remove from pan while warm. If possible, leave it uncovered because gets soggy if it’s wrapped up.